Thursday, June 10, 2010

Trip to Hampi

Last weekend we went to a place called Hampi. We went by train. It was a 10 hour train ride and we didn't get on the train until 10:30 at night, so we slept on the train and when we woke up we were in Hampi. It is a good thing we had Ambion so we could sleep. The train wasn't in the best condition, but it really wasn't as bad as I thought it might be.

Katie and I in front of the train that we rode on

Katie got the bottom bunk.....

....and I got the top bunk.

Hampi is know for having many temples that were destroyed by the Muslim people hundreds of years ago. They haven't been fixed and the temples are no longer in use. It was a really neat place to visit other then the heat. The temperature there is quit a bit hotter then Bangalore. I would guess it was in the high 90's and then you add the humidity and it makes it that much hotter.




These are just a couple of the many temples that we saw. I took a ton of pictures, but I can't post them all. All of them were so neat and it is was very interesting to hear the stories behind each one. Our tour guide was great and told us so much about all of them.


This is a wall on one of the temples. There is so much detailed work on each wall. It just amazes me and I can't believe how much time and work much have went in to building these temples, and then to have them destroyed. I'm sure it was devastating to them.


Outside one of the temples

The guy we standing buy must just walk to streets. He attracted so many people and he always had a group of people around him. We asked if we could have our picture taken with him and he was very happy to let us pose with him. There are tons of cows that just roam the streets and this one wanted to pose with us in our picture. They are all very friendly and you can walk up to all of them.

Alan's family posing with the friendly guy



Alan, Katie and I at the top of on of the temples


The crew!!!!
Eating lunch in Hampi


This is the color that they use
(Like we got on our faces by the driver when we he welcomed us to India)
It is in big bags and there are a lot of different colors


Laxshmi the Elephant

This elephant is so smart!!! If you give it rupees (money) it will give you blessings.
I am giving him rupees and waiting for a blessing. When he blesses you he puts his trunk on your head. I didn't get a good picture of him blessing me on my camera, so that is why I didn't post a picture of the blessing.

0 comments: