Thursday, March 5, 2009

Bailey's State Report (HAWAII)



Bailey is in the 5th grade this year so she got to do a state report. (I don't know if it is something most school do, but our school has been doing it at least since Chad and I were in 5th grade) She got to choose the state she wanted unless someone else in the class wanted the same one. Her first choice was Hawaii and she was lucky enough to get it. For our 10th anniversary Chad and I went to Hawaii and Bailey has always had an interest in it since we went. She has been working on a written report and she also had to give an oral report. She turned her written in a couple of weeks ago, but her oral was this week. She did a great job. Her dad helped her do a power point on the computer to help with the oral. I went to watch her give it, so I took a bunch of stuff that we have and decorated a table for her. She had to take something for the whole class to taste that represented the State. Hawaii was a very easy one because they have so many things. She gave them Pineapple, Macadamia Nuts, and we had Mr. Brown (her teacher) crack open a coconut. The kids all liked the food we had them try, but some weren't to sure about the coconut. They had never seen what a real coconut looks like and they were expecting it to be sweet like the coconut in the bag.

Bailey was really lucky because my sister, her husband and kids and his family went to Hawaii just a couple of weeks ago. They brought back a ton of stuff for her to use in her oral report. They brought a couple of coconuts, Macadamia Nuts, Sugar Cane, and the favorite for the class was the Shell Lei's that they all received from Bailey thanks to them bringing them back for her. Thank you so much Chad and Katie for getting all of this for her. The class thought it was so cool that it all came right from Hawaii.

She got 100% on both reports and she is relieved that this big project is behind her. Good job sis, you did a great job.


Bailey talking about Hawaii from the power point

2 comments:

Heather said...

I remember my state report- hers looks alot more advanced than mine was an unmentionable ammount of years ago.
I did mine on Maine because I had so much stuff from Mom growing up there.
I remember my Mom making Clam Chowder for people to sample for a meal from Maine- and Mom forgot the clams!
(Yet another typical Shelly moment!)

Anelisa said...

Great job Bailey! I just so you know....they have been doing state reports even longer than you think. Yup....I did one too back in the dark ages!!!